One of my favorite things to make. Its easy, delicious, ridiculously cheap, gluten free and it goes well with just about anything. On top of that there are easy ways to bring out different flavors simply by adding cheeses, purees, or spices to the mixture. The possibilities are endless.
Yes polenta does take 45 minutes to make but you don't constantly have to stir every minute, just every 5-10 minutes. Really give it a good stir as you don't want to scorch the bottom. If you are in a rush and own a pressure cooker you can cut the cooking time in half and don't have to stir at all!
Give this tried and true recipe a go and you'll agree, polenta can really change your life (at least your eating habits).
- Cornmeal 150g (1 Cup)
- Water 1325g (6 cups)
- Butter 106g (1/2 stick)
- Salt 10g
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium size pot
- Once boiling, whisk the water in a circle to form a funnel, then quickly whisk in all the polenta for 1-2 minutes
- Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for 40 minutes stirring every 5-10 minutes to prevent the bottom from scorching.
- Taste the polenta to make sure the cornmeal is cooked thoroughly
- If cooked, remove from heat add butter and salt, whisk until the butter is fully incorporated
And thats it! From there you can add any cheese of you liking in, purees (big fan of adding squash puree) or anything of your imagination. Throw just about anything on top and you will have one tasty meal. Even try it for breakfast with soft eggs and sausage.
If you have a favorite polenta recipe or any questions feel free to email us and we will include more polenta recipes in coming blog post!